Thursday 7 August 2008

another review of Beautiful Suffering


Ian Shapiro has just had a review of Beautiful Suffering, one of the books I reviewed for Surveillance and Society, published in Millenium, the Journal of international studies.

Shapiro's much more established than myself, it might worth a look if you have access to the journal. He focuses upon the Kantian ethics explored in the book, and the tension between the aesthetic and the ethical as evoked in the title. I attempted to use the book to show what visual culture approaches can tell us about the visual nature of surveillance, and the fact that context and language are pretty much necessary for an image to really say anything. Images are far from self-explanatory.

Summary details here, and I think you can get an abstract at least. Link to my review of the book in the column to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment